Link to TileWeb Home Page  TileWeb: Paving-tile Watercolours Online

The Collections:
Parker-Hore

The Parker-Hore Archive Collection of Watercolours of Paving-tiles
held in Worcester and in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford
County/Country = Leicestershire AND Town/Village = Leicester
First Record Previous Record Back to
Results Gallery
Back to Search
Entry Form
New Search Next Record Last Record
20 of 54 Record
County: Leicestershire Click on Image to see original watercolour
Click for larger version of this image
Town/Village: Leicester
Place Details: St Mary's church
Artist and Date: 1888 October 13
Iconography: Heraldic
Copied from (Collection): Soc of Antiq Ren III p 303
Watercolour Ref. No.: J537
Notebook: FMP  
Portfolio: Jas P,  
Notebook: IH 4
Other details: The early tile displays the arms of Barry or Barri, grandson of Ralph de Insula and Matilda Maltresse confirmed in the reign of Henry II a grant of his church of Tollerton (four miles south east of Nottingham) made by his grandfather to Lenton Abbey (1 3/4 miles south south west of Nottingham). and many other grants to this abbey were made at other times by the Barri family. The same tile may be seen in St Michael's Church Coventry.
First Record Previous Record Back to
Results Gallery
Back to Search
Entry Form
New Search Next Record Last Record
 

Copyright of this digital resource will be held jointly by
the Ashmolean Museum, Worcester City Museum & Art Gallery and by the Worcestershire Archaeological Society.
Copyright of the original drawings is held by
the Ashmolean Museum and by the Worcestershire Archaeological Society respectively.
12-Dec-2017>
None of this material may be reproduced in any form without permission.

 
  Link to Worcestershire Museums Link to the Ashmolean Museum Home Page
Link to the Millennium Commission Worcestershire Archaeological Society Logo